Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Latest Discovery

I love that I can flip on the radio and fall in love with a song I've never heard - a song that's new to me not because it was just released, but because it come out the year before I did! It seems we are expected to only know the music that is currently on the charts, save for a few iconic and legendary songs by The Beatles or Michael Jackson maybe. People are always saying to me, "You're too young to know [insert artist that was around before 1995]." And I'm thinking, "It's not like all the music that was on the radio before I started listening stopped existing."

Anyway, for how much music I know & love from the 50s & 80s, naturally there are thousands of songs I've never heard, artists I don't know of, etc. I can't tell you how exciting it is to flip on a local radio station that's casually playing a retro groove or doing a special 80s weekend for all those Gen-Xer parents in the suburbs and discover an amazing pop song - a quarter-century old single that's totally fresh and new to my pop crazed ears.




WOW! I'm not kidding, this song awesome. It sounds so fresh! I actually like a lot of what's going on in the pop music world right now (Lady Gaga, etc.). There's so many synths and good beats and crazy hair and Michael Jackson/Madonna throwbacks - it's great! But I come across a song like "Cool It Now" by New Edition and it just sounds more fun than almost anything out right now.

Also really into Kate Bush and Echo & The Bunnymen at the moment, but that's more serious stuff. =)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a sucker for a good pop song as well, Lady Gaga style. :)

    ReplyDelete