Saturday, April 11, 2009

Kite Flying

"Go fly a kite" is usually an insulting phrase. It's in the same category as "Go take a long walk off a short cliff" and "Go kill yourself and make the world a better place." (That last one might sound pretty severe, but I remember when someone said that to me as a kid; I laughed so hard I wasn't even offended.)

"Go fly a kite" is actually great advice. Look where it got Benjamin Franklin! Seriously, it's a lot of fun. I flew a couple kites this afternoon with Charles and William, two of my younger brothers. The strings got tangled at one point, and we ended up breaking them to free the kites. When we tied the pieces of string back together we had accidentally given almost all the string to one kite and left the other with only about 6 feet or so. The kite with all the string took off. It flew higher than a sky scraper, maybe as high as a low flying airplane (well, definitely, since airplanes fly low enough to eventually land I suppose). I then ran back to my car, remembering I had more string from a previous kiting expedition, and added a new spool to the already lengthy trail of string. "Woah! Look at it now!" said William. The moment felt epic and exciting. Not bad for a $1 plastic kite from Walmart. That's all I can say. Go fly a kite!

---

No post tomorrow. Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment